These almond puff pastries are great as an afternoon snack or for kids' school morning tea break. I can't believe how easy it is to make them especially with the store bought ready rolled pastry. I just love the sweet flaky crunch of the pastry and let me warn you ... they can be pretty addictive!
Almond Puff Pastries
2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
2 Tbsp egg white
2 Tbsp castor sugar
100g almond flakes
3 Tbsp castor sugar
1) Lay out the 2 sheets of puff pastries.
2) Add the 2 Tbsp of castor sugar to the egg white and mix well.
3) Brush the egg white mixture onto the puff pastries evenly.
4) Sprinkle almond flakes on top of the pastries.
5) Lay a sheet of baking paper over the pastries and lightly press to secure the almond flakes onto it.
6) Remove the paper and sprinkle the remaining castor sugar generously over the almond flakes.
7) Cover with the baking paper again and place in the freezer for at least half an hour.
8) Preheat oven to 200C.
9) Remove pastries from the freezer and cut into small rectangle sizes.
10) Place on a baking sheet and bake for 12 mins until the pastries have puffed up, then reduced temperature to 160C and bake for another 5-10mins or until the top is golden brown
Note : Keep a watchful eye as they tend to brown quickly due to the sugar. I got an earlier batch burnt as I didn't keep a close watch. All oven temperatures differ so please adjust accordingly.