The combination of palm sugar, pandan and coconut milk brings out the beautiful flavour in this traditional kueh. Moist and flavoursome, not to mention the attractive different layers of colours, it just make this kueh simply hard to resist!
Nyonya Sago Coconut Kueh
210g Grated White Coconut
200ml Thick Coconut Milk
A pinch of Salt
100g Palm Sugar (Gula Melaka)
4 Tbsp Water
1 Tbsp Pandan Juice, extracted from Pandan Leaves
1) Soak ingredients (A) for 30 minutes.
2) Melt ingredients (C) over low heat. Sift and set to cool.
3) Mix sago and ingredients (B) well and divide into 3 portions.
4) Add 1/4 tsp of pink food colouring to portion 1. Add in ingredients (C) to portion 2. Set aside portion 3.
5) Spread portion 1 evenly in a 7" square cake tin and press lightly with a spatula. Steam for 1/2 hour until the sago is transparent. Remove from steamer, and then pour in portion 2. Steam again and finally pour in portion 3 and steam for 30 minutes further.
6) Cool completely before cutting.