With my hubby's birthday coming up, I quickly bookmarked it for this special occasion. In fact, it was so good, I made it again for my mom's birthday a few days' later!
Magic Custard Cake with Strawberry Sauce and Blueberry Topping
Birthday Magic Custard Cake with Chocolate letters by my girl
MAGIC CUSTARD CAKE
Recipe adapted from Taste-E
½ cup (113g) unsalted butter
2 cups milk
4 eggs separated, brought to room temperature
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
150g icing sugar
1 Tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or good quality vanilla extract)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1) Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 160C.
2) Melt butter in the microwave, and leave to cool.
3) Warm milk in a saucepan to lukewarm. Set aside.
4) Beat egg whites until a bit frothy. Add cream of tartar and beat until stiff. Set aside.
5) Beat egg yolk and sugar until light. Add vanilla and salt and beat until mixed.
6) Add butter and water and beat for 2 minutes. Add flour and mix until incorporated.
7) Pour in milk and whisk until smooth and incorporated.
8) Fold in egg whites 1/3 at a time, using a whisk. It will have some small lumps of whites.
9) Pour in prepared baking pan – it will be very runny. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until the top is golden and the middle is still a bit jiggly. Cool, then refrigerate until cold. Store in the fridge.