Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Open Pie
(Makes 4 pies)
For Creamy White Sauce
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp plain flour
pinch of salt
2 cups milk
4 tsp olive oil
1/2 leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
6 button mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
ground black pepper to taste
2 chicken breast, cooked and sliced
2 sheet ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, thawed
1 small egg, beaten
1) To make creamy white sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and a pinch of salt to make a roux or paste. Slowly add milk, lower heat and stir constantly until sauce simmers and thickens. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes until sauce is creamy and thick.
2) Preheat oven to 200C.
3) Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook leak and mushrooms for 5 minutes to soften. Stir cooked vegetables into the white sauce along with the Parmesan, parsley, pepper and sliced chicken. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
4) Using a 20cm bread and butter plate as a guide, cut a round from the pastry sheet and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
5) Mark a 4cm border around the edge. Spoon filling into centre of pastry, then turn border up over the filling, pleating pastry as you go.
6) Brush pastry generously with beaten egg and bake for 40 minutes until pastry is cooked and golden. Serve hot.