The other day when I posted my Hainanese Min Chee pie on a cooking facebook, somebody asked if I happened to have the recipe for traditional Hainanese chicken pie as well. From what I know, this pie is basically chicken stew topped with puff pastry.
Being a Hainanese, chicken stew is one of the favourite dish on our family meal menu and I always look forward to my mom's pot of good old stew! Yum!
Hainanese Chicken Pie
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp flour
3 large potatoes, cut into cubes
2 large carrots, cut into cubes
1 large onion, peeled
3 shallots, chopped
6 button mushroom, cut into halves
50g frozen peas, thawed
1.5cm cinnamon stick (optional)
1 Tbsp oil
1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
1 egg, lightly beaten
1) Cut the chicken into pieces and marinate with salt, pepper and soy sauce. Sift the flour over the chicken to lightly coat them.
2) Fry the chopped shallots with a tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan. Add in the chicken pieces and cook them for 10-15 mins until browned.
3) Add the water to the pan. Put in the whole onion, carrot, potatoes, mushrooms, cloves and cinnamon stick and cook until the stew is boiling.
4) Lower the heat and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes or until the carrots and potatoes are cooked.
5) Stir in the peas and remove from the heat.
6) Pour content into a large oven proof dish (or 6 small individual pie dishes) and leave to cool.
7) Cut out pastry to a size slightly larger than the rim of the dish. Dampen the rim with a bit of water and lay the pastry over the top, pressing down firmly to seal the edges. Cut out another 2 or 3 long strips (about 2cm width) and lay them along over the edges. You can use a fork to crimp these edges. Cut out any remaining pastry trimmings to make decorations on top.
8) Brush the pastry top with the beaten egg.
9) Bake in a preheated oven at 220C for about 15 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
Serve and enjoy!