Quiche is one of my family's favourite dish and whenever we patronize a cafe it's one of our regular orders. So what's better than to make your own quiche at home (with your favourite choice ingredients) and have it fresh straight out of the oven!
The crisp of the pastry and the richness of the filling is definitely something to look forward to.
One word .... Divine !
Ham and Broccoli Quiche
240g plain flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
1 small white onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small florets broccoli, chopped into small pieces
150g ham, cut into small pieces
300ml cream (whipping/cooking cream)
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup grated Parmesan/Cheddar cheese
1) For pastry, place butter, flour and salt in a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg and lemon juice and process until mixture forms a ball. Turn onto a floured bench and gently knead to bring dough together. Do not over work. Wrap in plastic wrap and rest in refrigerator for 10-15 mins.
2) For filling, melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 mins until fragrant. Add in the broccoli and stirfry it for about 3 mins until it softens. Dish out and set aside.
3) Preheat oven to 200C. Lightly grease a 9-inch loose-bottomed fluted tart tin.
4) Remove dough from the fridge and roll the pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper to a 10-inch circle and 3mm thick. Gently ease into prepared tart tin, pressing pastry into the edges of the tin. Trim with a small knife and prick the base. Lay a sheet of baking paper over the base and fill with baking beans or rice and blind bake pastry for 15-20 mins or until golden. Remove from oven, take out paper and baking beans and return to the oven for 5 mins to crisp.
4) Whisk cream, eggs and yolks in a bowl until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
5) Fill the base of the cooked pastry shell with onion & broccoli mixture and scatter over half the cheese and half the ham. Pour over egg mixture and sprinkle with the rest of the ham and cheese. Bake for 15 mins, reduce temperature to 160C and bake until set. Allow to cool before cutting.