Vanilla Custard Slice
(adapted from Donna Hay's recipe with slightly changes)
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
1 cup (250ml) milk
1 cup (250ml) single cream
40g unsalted butter, chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
80g castor sugar
4 egg yolks
icing sugar, for dusting
1) Preheat oven to 180C.
2) Place the pastry sheets on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Top each pastry sheet with non-stick baking paper and place an additional baking tray on each pastry sheet as a weight (to prevent pastry from puffing up). Bake for 20-25 mins or until golden.
3) Cool completely on wire racks. Using a serrated knife, trim the pastry sheets to 18cm square. Set aside.
4) Place the milk, cream, butter, vanilla and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook until just boiling. Remove from the heat.
5) Combine the cornflour and water and whisk into the hot milk mixture with the egg yolks. Return to the heat, whisking, and bring to the boil. Cook, whisking, for 30 seconds- 1 min or until thickened.
6) Place 1 pastry sheet in the base of a lightly greased 18cm square cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper.
7) Top with the custard and the remaining pastry sheet and press down gently. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until set.
8) Dust with icing sugar and slice to serve.
Tip : Ensure you have enough baking paper hanging over the sides of the tin so you can lift the slice from the tin after it has chilled.