Friday 19 September 2014

Lemon Sherbet

I have a small lemon tree in my backyard and the first year I moved into my house 2 years ago, I found one single forlorn lemon on the tree.  The following year, ever so hopeful, I was again disappointed as it didn't bear a single fruit. 

Then one day, I had a visit from my aunt and she noticed that the leaves on my lemon tree were a bit yellowish. On her next visit, she brought along some epsom salts and advised me to dilute them in some water to water the plant. Epsom salts (also known as magnesium sulfate) actually provide soil nutrients to citrus plants and support the health of lemon trees. I also learnt that the yellow leaves on my tree were actually a sign of magnesium deficiency.

And what do you know? This year, I was pleasantly surprised to find my little lemon tree absolutely blooming with fruits! There were at least twelve lemons on that little darling! I was thrilled and could hardly wait for them to ripen so that I could make something out of these homegrown citrus fruits.

I chanced upon this following lemon sherbet recipe the other day and knew straightaway it was just the right thing to make out of my precious lemons.  There's a good balance of sweet, sour and saltiness in it. A great dessert to follow after a full and especially, fatty meal. I just love the tangy and lemony taste it brings and I could actually feel the zesty sherbet dancing on my tongue! Ivan Orkin sure wasn't kidding when he said this sherbet kicks ass! 

Enjoy!




Lemon Sherbet
(Makes 1 Liter)

Adapted from Ivan Orkin's cookbook, Ivan Ramen

Ingredients
100g sugar
zest of 2 lemons
300ml whole milk
300ml heavy cream
150ml lemon juice
7g (2 tsp) salt   (I use 1/2 tsp)

Method

1) In a food processor, process the sugar and lemon zest together until the sugar takes on a yellow hue.

2) In a mixing bowl, whisk together the milk and cream, then stir in the lemon sugar until it dissolves, Stir in the lemon juice, then the salt. Mix until the salt is fully dissolved, about  a minute.

3) Churn the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

4) Let the sherbet fully set in the freezer for at least an hour or two before you eat it.


My little lemon tree



No comments:

Post a Comment