Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie
(adapted with modifications from Mary Berry's cookbook)
2 large leeks, trimmed and sliced
50g plain flour
300ml chicken stock or water
1 tsp Dijon mustard
250g button mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper
500g cooked chicken, cut into small cubes
50g Cheddar cheese, grated
2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
1) Preheat oven to 200C.
2) Mix the flour with a little of the milk in a small bowl until you get a smooth paste. Leave aside.
3) Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the leeks and fry over a low heat for about 10 mins until soft.
4) Turn up the heat and add the paste to the pan with the remaining milk and stock. Bring to the boil, stirring all the time, until the sauce is thickened and smooth.
5) Add the mustard. Stir in the mushrooms and simmer for about 2 mins.
6) Season with salt and pepper.
7) Add in the cooked chicken and mix together.
8) Remove the pan from the heat and add the cheese.
9) Pour the mixture into a large pie dish or a few individual ramekins and leave aside to cool.
10) To prepare the pastry top, cut out pastry to a size slightly larger than your pie dish or ramekin. Brush the lip of your dish or ramekins with a bit of water, and lay the pastry over them. Press gently to seal the edges.
11) Brush the pastry with beaten egg. Cut any leftover pastry trimmings into leaf shapes, arrange them on top of the pie, then brush with more egg. Using the tip of a sharp knife or a skewer, create a small steam hole in the centre of the pie.
12) Bake in the oven for about 25-30 mins or until the pastry is crisp and golden.
|Can't wait to tuck in!|